CamScanner Windows Phone app just got updated to v188.8.131.52 in Windows Phone Store. CamScanner allows you to convert your camera images to PDF documents. It can auto detect and crop scanned images, smart enhance documents with 5 enhance modes, quickly covert to PDF files and manage documents with the ability to search texts in document images
- Supports scanning documents in batch mode
- Newly designed app icons and UI
- Improved experience to share document PDF via email (OneDrive is not required any more)
- Now you can save scanned images directly into the Photos Hub
- Adds the Russian language support
- Many other improvements and bug fixes.
Download it here from Windows Phone Store.
Eric Larsen and his 3-person team of adventurers are starting their adventure journey tomorrow to break the current expedition speed record that was set in 2006 by a Norwegian team to cover the nearly 500-mile distance to the North Pole in less than 49 days. Eric will be documenting his entire journey and will also be providing daily updates, podcasts, photos and videos. Microsoft is one of the sponsors for this attempt as they have provided Nokia Lumia 1020 and Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phone devices to him. I’m sure we will have some great photos of the arctic world throughout this journey.
Microsoft is supporting Eric’s journey by providing him with Nokia Lumia 1020 and Nokia Lumia 1520 Windows Phones that he will take with him on the expedition. Using these Lumias, he’ll be able to take amazing photography documenting and sharing his journey with the world. As someone who also uses a Lumia 1020, I am super excited to see the photos Eric will be taking on his trip. Eric has also been using the Nokia Lumia 2520 and Panasonic ToughPad G1 tablets to track and train for the expedition.
You can follow Eric’s updates here on his website or by following him on Twitter.
via: Windows Phone team blog
Microsoft has applied for patents for two key features in Windows Phone platform. The first one in the unified calling experience where any 3rd party app can use phone’s calling UX with its own branding. The second one is the Kids Corner feature that allows you to create a new section in your phone specifically for kids that is isolated from the actual phone contents.
UNIFIED USER EXPERIENCE FOR MOBILE CALLS
Spotify today announced that it has acquired one of the largest music data company The Echo Nest. The Echo Nest provides music data solutions such as recommendation, playlisting, etc, to various companies including Nokia MixRadio and Microsoft’s Xbox Music.
Last year, Nokia and The Echo Nest announced a deal that enabled Echo Nest’s Music Discovery and Personalization solution in the Nokia MixRadio app, to be pre-installed on all Nokia Windows Phones. MixRadio’s primary feature Play Me, powered by The Echo Nest, and it provides one-tap access to a personalized streaming radio station based on each user’s artist radio stations, the songs they play, skip, or favorite, and everything else they do with music on their phones.
Not only that, but it can also scan the user’s desktop and mobile music collections for any music stored there too. All of this data funnels into their Echo Nest-powered Taste Profile, a unique understanding of each user’s taste(s) in music. We combine that detailed (anonymous) behavioral analysis with our understanding of the entire world of music, including the relationships between over 35 million songs by over 2.5 million artists in over 700 genres — all part of the largest database about music in the world.
Even though The Echo Nest will honor all its contractual agreements, the future of MixRadio and Xbox Music’s Radio feature remains a big question. Hopefully, Nokia and Microsoft can find a better partner soon.
Subway Surfers game got updated to v1.20 today in Windows Phone Store. This time the theme is New York City! You can enjoy the game in fresh visuals.
Help Jake, Tricky & Fresh escape from the grumpy Inspector and his dog.
- Join the Subway Surfers World Tour in New York City!
- Grind trains with your cool crew!
- Colorful and vivid HD graphics!
- Hoverboard Surfing!
- Paint powered jetpack!
- Lightning fast swipe acrobatics!
- Challenge and help your friends!
Download it here from Windows Phone Store for free.
Back in January, we reported that Xbox game Throne Together beta is available for download in some Windows Phone markets. Microsoft Studios has today released the final version of the game in Windows Phone Store.
Place blocks to build castles for your royal clients and please the Castle Inspector in this addicting block-based puzzle game. Build wisely or risk being ‘overthrone’ as the kingdom’s premiere architect!
With your dragon assistant Fidget, place doors, windows, gargoyles and more as per your royal client’s specifications! But be careful – clumsy positioning and uneven weight will make your masterful castle crumble to the ground!
Download it here from Windows Phone Store for free.
Thanks hengxiang32401 for the tip.
Red Stripe Deals for this week is now live in Windows Phone Store. This week’s deals include 1 Xbox game, two indie games and three apps. Find the apps with store links and their deal prices in the list below.
- Real Racing 2 – $1.99: Test your racing prowess on a 16 car grid against highly skilled AI drivers – or battle it out against other racers over WiFi! Download it here from Windows Phone Store.
- Phototastic – $0.99: Create a collage using classic frame borders or choose from one of the film templates like Polaroid, photobooth or filmstrip or try out the new Facebook cover photo frames. Download it here from Windows Phone Store.
- Words By Post – $0.99: Words By Post is the only cross-platform online word game that keeps track of your skill level and always matches you against players of similar ability to your own. Download it here from Windows Phone Store.
- WeatherMaster – $0.99: World Weather Forecast. WeatherMaster is a powerful and easy to use weather application right in your hand. Download it here from Windows Phone Store.
- Askance – $0.99: Discover your character entering the alchemic world of Askance!! Askance is an addictive arcade/puzzle game! Download it here from Windows Phone Store.
- IM+ Pro – $2.49: Chat in Skype, Facebook, Google Talk, AIM, Yahoo!, ICQ, Jabber, VKontakte, Yandex IM, Mail.ru Agent, Odnoklassniki.ru, Mamba, Fetion, RenRen, Sina Weibo, Mig33, Gadu-Gadu, MeinVZ, Beep and MSN/Windows Live. Download it here from Windows Phone Store.
Source: Windows Phone Store
Mohamed Tariq, an eight year old kid has developed a Windows Phone app and his app has been downloaded almost 500 times since its release. He developed a Windows Phone app called Kids Zone that aggregates online videos from popular cartoons, like “Tom and Jerry” and “SpongeBob SquarePants.” He used YouTube as the data source to make them into separate channels within his app.
Did he learn programming at his 3rd grade? The answer is ‘No’. Tariq went to Nokia DVLUP Day in Boston in November along with his father and he decided to join other novices in a class about App Studio. This result was his Kids Zone app.
Microsoft released Windows Phone App Studio Beta last year which allows hobbyists, enthusiasts and new developers to create content-based apps from end to end, all within a web UI in few easy steps. Microsoft recently revealed that 350,000 developers of all skill levels have used Windows Phone App Studio Beta, resulting in 300,000 projects and 20,000 apps published to Windows Phone Store.
Source: betaboston via: Windows team blog
Nokia Lumia 1520(Top) Xperia Z2 Compact(Below)
If you leave Nokia Lumia 1020 out of the smartphone imaging race, Nokia Lumia 1520 and Sony Xperia Z1 Compact are among the leading smartphone cameras with 20MP sensors. Sony is not new to pushing vague marketing claims and attracting consumers with lots of brand names. For example their Xperia Z1 Compact’s camera was described as below,
It redefines the premium smartphone market by placing the best Sony technologies from the flagship Xperia Z1: Sony’s leading camera technologies “G Lens”, “Exmor RS for mobile” and “BIONZ for mobile”; a 4.3 inch TRILUMINOS™ HD display and X-Reality™ for mobile; premium dust-resistant and waterproof (IP55/IP58) design
At MWC, they claimed that Xperia Z2 has the best smartphone camera in the market. Forget their marketing claims, how does Xperia Z1 Compact’s 20MP compared to Lumia 1520′s camera? PureViewclub did a quick comparison and concluded the following,
Well… it’s obvious that even in better light, Sony’s Xperia Z1 Compact doesn’t stand a chance against Nokia’s Carl Zeiss sensor. And that still surprises me, knowing Sony is able to make some very serious cameras. Looks like, as with the Xperia Z and Z1, Sony hasn’t managed to squeeze the same quality into their smartphones yet.
The 640 x 360 crops from the high-res photos shot using these devices is posted above. You can see how Lumia 1520 shines against Xperia Z1 Compact. Find the actual scene of the above shot after the break and find other photos in the source link below.
Source: PureView club
Rudy Huyn has finally published his full featured Dropbox client named CloudSix for Dropbox in Windows Phone Store. It is a free app that allows you to access all your photos, docs, and videos stored on your Dropbox. CloudSix is a set of full client apps for cloud storage services, but the current version only support Dropbox. Rudy expects other cloud storage services to be added as soon as possible, including: OneDrive, Google Drive, Box.com and Mega.co.
• Access all your photos, docs and videos from any device.
• Automatically save photos and videos to Dropbox when your phone is charging
• Share a link to even your biggest files — no more attachments!
• Add files to your “Favorites” for fast, offline viewing.
• Multi-accounts: access to your dropbox accounts without sign in/sign out
• Protect your files with a pin-code
CloudSix API is also available which offers a file picker and a file saver that can be used by other apps too. Download it here from Windows Phone Store for free. If you want ad free version, you can buy it for $1.29. Find some more screenshots after the break.
STAR WARS™: TINY DEATH STAR! game from Disney Mobile in Windows Phone Store just got updated to v184.108.40.206. This update includes a new character called Salvage Droids and Facebook integration that allows you to save your game across devices.
220.127.116.11 The quest to build the largest Death Star continues in the newest update!
NEW FEATURE: SALVAGE DROIDS! Do the Emperor’s bidding, and send Salvage Droids on missions deep into the galaxy to collect valuable resources for your Death Star. Collect exclusive floors, characters, and other rewards that you can’t obtain anywhere else!
FACEBOOK INTEGRATION: Sign into Facebook to save your game across devices! Plus, see which of your other friends are also playing Star Wars: Tiny Death Star!
The updated game can be found in the Windows Phone Store here.
Microsoft has updated the Facebook beta app in Windows Phone Store. The updated app v18.104.22.168 does not include any new features, but it has some bug fixes and performance improvements.
Few Facebook app users reported crashing issue few days back, and the issue seems to be fixed in this release.
The updated app can be found in the Windows Phone Store here.
As announced at MWC, Facebook has released their Messenger app for Windows Phone devices. Facebook Messenger allows you to message your Facebook friends with support for text, pictures, and stickers.
- Get to all your messages without having to open Facebook.
- Bring your conversations to life with stickers and send photos privately.
- Have group conversations and make plans on the go.
- Share your location so people know when you’re nearby.
- Know when people have seen your messages.
- See who’s using Messenger and who’s active on Facebook.
- Stay logged in so you never miss a message.
- Turn off notifications when you’re working, sleeping or just need a break.
- Never lose your conversation history or contacts.
Download it here from Windows Phone Store for free.