As announced at MWC, Facebook has released their Messenger app for Windows Phone devices. Facebook Messenger allows you to message your Facebook friends with support for text, pictures, and stickers.
- Get to all your messages without having to open Facebook.
- Bring your conversations to life with stickers and send photos privately.
- Have group conversations and make plans on the go.
- Share your location so people know when you’re nearby.
- Know when people have seen your messages.
- See who’s using Messenger and who’s active on Facebook.
- Stay logged in so you never miss a message.
- Turn off notifications when you’re working, sleeping or just need a break.
- Never lose your conversation history or contacts.
Download it here from Windows Phone Store for free.
JustDial is the largest local search engine in India. It allows you to find local information like movies in your area, Restaurant next door, Hotels, Airlines and more. Many of these local listings are reviewed by millions of Justdial users.
You can enjoy some of the amazing features listed below when you download the JD App :
* Auto Detection of your current location with the help of GPS
* Close proximity search through ‘NEAR ME’
* Get popular choices for RESTAURANTS, MOVIES, DOCTORS & more
* Sort your search by attributes like ratings , distance or popularity
* Get direction through interactive map
* Get business information through Email/SMS
* Call any business by just one tap
* Get unbelievably best deals
* Mark business as your ‘Favorite’ for ease of use
* Add your business listing FREE OF CHARGE
* Rate and review business
* TAG YOUR FRIENDS & see their ratings/reviews
* Sort friends Alphabetically or by Name or Ratings
Download it here from Windows Phone Store for free.
Thanks to Lance for the heads up.
HTC HD2, which was the flagship device during Windows Mobile days is still alive and kicking. The folks over at XDA-Developers forums have ported various Operating Systems on HTC HD2. The list includes various versions of Android, Windows Phone 7, Windows Phone 8, Windows RT, Firefox, MeeGo and more.
At MWC last week, Nokia announced Nokia X series of devices running a customized version of Android based on AOSP. This custom Android OS from Nokia X was also flashed on HTC HD2 and it booted fine as you can see in the image above. Read more about it from the link below.
Source: XDA Developers
Google announced Google Voice back in 2009 which gives you one number for all your phones, voicemail as easy as email, free US long distance, low rates on international calls, and many calling features. A recent patent application from Microsoft describes the same feature where a universal phone number is provided for a user with fixed line, mobile line, and internet communication methods. Microsoft already owns a great universal communication tool called Skype through which hundreds of millions of users make audio and video calls everyday. Any integration with Skype and this universal number concept should attract many users. Read the patent abstract below.
One of the main hindrance for the evolution of smartphones right now is the battery technology. We are still using the same old battery technology which was used a decade back. Lots of companies are working to improve battery technology in smartphones and alternative ways to power up your device like a solar panel on the back of your device, etc. Nokia today posted a fun and informative video on sustainability. It shows how you can charge your Windows Phone device by dancing! Watch the video above.
If you are a Nokia Lumia 1520 owner, you should be proud to own it. Find the reason behind it after the break.
Nimbuzz on Windows Phone client got updated to version 1.1.7. This update brings the much awaited Chat rooms support on mobile. It allows you to Chat with people, make new friends, create your own rooms, invite friends to room, send virtual gifts, and more.
Chat rooms: You can now do a host of things with the introduction of chat rooms on your mobile.
- Create your ow n Chatrooms (Public/Private) and invite friends to join it.
- View List of Popular Chatrooms and access your desired chatroom.
- You can add any chatroom in your favorite list.
- View Avatars / Profile of Chatroom Participants, private chat w ith them and add in your contact list.
- Search chatrooms & apply advanced filters w hile searching like country wise/language wise.
- You can also send and receive gifts by using chat room commands in the chat room and much more
The updated app can be found in the Windows Phone Store here.
Source: Nimbuzz via Trutower.com
The official SUPER WHY app from PBS KIDS is now available for download from Windows phone Store. The series is designed to help kids ages 3 to 6 with the critical skills that they need to learn to read. There are four SUPER WHY interactive literacy games that your child can play along with each of the four main characters from the TV series: Alpha Pig, Princess Presto, Wonder Red, while practicing the alphabet, rhyming, spelling, writing and reading.
ALPHA PIG’S LICKETY LETTER HUNT
Help Alpha Pig find his way home by identifying the letters he needs to follow the alphabet path. That’s Alphabet Power!
PRINCESS PRESTO’S WANDS-UP WRITING
Help Princess Presto make objects appear by identifying letter sounds, tracing letters on the touch screen, and writing words. Spectacular Spelling!
WONDER RED’S RHYMING TIME
It’s time to rhyme! Help Wonder Red find the rhyming words missing from her Wonder Words Basket.
SUPER WHY’S STORY SAVER
Super Why…to the rescue! Help Super Why save the day by selecting words to complete sentences that fit the story. LEARNING REWARDS Collect virtual stickers along the way and decorate a “sticker book” with over 50 items.
It costs $2.99 and you can find it here from Windows Phone Store.
We already know lot of things about Microsoft’s Cortana voice assistant that will be part of the upcoming Windows Phone 8.1 update. Today, The Verge reported some new information regarding it. Here are them,
- Cortana is represented by a circle graphic that expresses what it’s doing by various animations like spinning, flipping, etc.
- You can set your name or nickname which Cortana will use to call you.
- There is a concept called Notebook which will allow the Cortana digital assistant to access information such as location data, behaviors, personal information, reminders, and contact information. It will use them to provide contextual information for you, similar to what Google Now does.
- Microsoft will demo Cortana during the upcoming Build developer conference.
Source: The Verge
Last year we reported that Microsoft-Nokia deal is in the second-phase of anti-trust investigation in China, as Chinese OEMs and regulators fear that Nokia’s patent fees for the China’s domestic handset vendors might go up after this deal gets over. Bloomberg then reported that local Chinese OEMs have asked regulators to make sure Microsoft’s acquisition of Nokia’s handset business doesn’t result in higher patent fees on wireless technology.
Today, Bloomberg today reported that Google and Samsung have joined the Chinese OEM in expressing their concern about Microsoft-Nokia deal. They want to make sure this deal doesn’t result in higher fees on wireless technology patents that will remain with Nokia. The report also claimed that Google and Samsung fear that Microsoft will gain more power over the smartphone market and may abuse its patents.
Contrary to Samsung and Google’s concerns, Microsoft is always open to license their patents to other smartphone vendors under very reasonable terms. In fact, they have signed patent licensing deals with more than 20 Android OEMs and ODMs so far.
China’s Ministry of Commerce is conducting an anti-monopoly review and is likely to approve the deal, the officials said. The question is whether the ministry will demand the companies guarantee that the agreement doesn’t result in higher patent fees, the officials said.
Today, @evleaks posted an information on Twitter about an upcoming Nokia Windows Phone 8.1 devices. This device is codenamed ‘Martini’ and it will run on Window Phone Blue.
The handset is another in the line of Bond-themed devices, with the Goldfinger being another to still arrive.
Nokia didn’t announce any new handsets at MWC, clearly they are waiting for Microsoft to reveal Windows Phone 8.1 first. Microsoft is expected to reveal Windows Phone 8.1 at their upcoming BUILD developers conference and Nokia is expected to follow them to announce Windows Phone 8.1 based handsets in April.
Are you waiting for Nokia to announce its next flagship device?
Three new high-profile apps have landed in Windows Phone users in India. Read about them below.
Meru Cabs which is best known for high quality services to its passengers enabled through technologies like GPS, GPRS based tracking and dispatch, speed alarm, trip tracker facility, e-bill etc, has released their official Windows Phone app. Download it here from Windows Phone Store.
Life Insurance Corporation of India, India’s largest insurance provider has released their LIC Mobile app in Windows Phone Store. You can get details of live plans, Get notifications for key news and events, Calculate and compare premium of plans, Pay premium online and more. Download it here from Windows Phone Store.
Canara Bank e-InfoBook:
Canara Bank, one of the popular government backed pubic bank in India has released their mobile banking app. ePassBook is one of such services and ePassBook is a next generation mobile service which transforms the mobile phone into an electronic passbook. This application will be of great help to individuals and corporate customers for instantly viewing transaction without having to visit to the Bank. A hassle-free self registration process enables you to make a user of this epassBook. Different flavours of passbook , account balance and other value added services are part of this product. Download it here from Windows Phone Store.
Red Stripe deals for this week is now live in Windows Phone Store. This week’s deals include Xbox game Shoot 1UP, Indie game Doom & Destiny, utility apps TouchMountain, ProShot, Money Wallet and Car Check. Find their deal prices and Windows Phone Store links from the below list.
- Shoot 1UP – $0.99 – Launch them all at once! Unleash an entire armada of ships in Shoot 1UP! Instead of storing extra 1UPs, new ships becomes playable immediately, resulting in an ever-growing armada of destruction! With your home world ruined, lead your detached battalion’s charge by destroying the mechanical-tentacle hybrid attack forces responsible for your pain.
- Doom & Destiny – $0.99 – After the incredible success on XBOX D&D arrives on a Phone edition that is even better than the console counterpart. Strange events bring four nerdy friends in a fantasy world made of cliche, strange people and a lot of humor.
- TouchMountain – $1.99 – TouchMountain is the perfect tourist guide in the mountains and lets you discover peaks worldwide. You can find nearby mountains on the camera’s viewfinder (Augmented Reality), on the map, via the search or on the list.
- ProShot – $0.99 – Unleash the full potential of your phone’s camera with the ProShot camera OS, and discover new creative possibilities with Auto, Program, Manual, and two Custom modes, with the ability to manually adjust White Balance, ISO, Shutter Speed, etc,.
- Money Wallet – $0.99 – Money Wallet – is a simple, useful and intuitive personal finance assistant. The application combines all your accounts in one place, monitors budgets and always reminds you about scheduled transactions.
- Car Check – $0.99 – “Car Check“ offers you the possibility to capture and manage all costs and data of your car/vehicle.
Yesterday, we reported that Nokia has released an update for its Nokia Camera beta app in Windows Phone Store. We reported about the new UI tweaks alone in the latest update. Today, Nokia detailed all the changes in the new version. Read it below.
New in beta version 22.214.171.124 (February 25, 2014):
- New Camera Roll Experience
- Automatic Playback of Video and Cinemagraph shots.
- Animations for shots captured with Smart Sequence and Nokia Refocus Application.
- New Capture Animation
- Improved Saving Time for Single Shot Capturing
The updated app can be found in the Windows Phone Store here.