WPDang reports that Nokia Lumia 820 and 920 phones are shipping with a nice extra in China â€“ a call and SMS blocker.
Apparently SMS and phone call spam is rife in the country, making this a much needed feature.
More sophisticated than simply just blocking numbers, the software allows:
- Block callers per mobile numbers
- Block all SMS from specific sender
- Dynamically block SMS containing specified keywords
- Update the keyword database online for said SMS blocking
- View all blocked calls and messages
- Trace the geographic origin of specific phone numbers (only works for mobile numbers, precise to municipality and carrier)
The spam filter is powered by Tencent, which is a messaging service in China, with downloadable keywords and black lists showing the issue is relatively serious.
Given how the service is implemented I do not expect it to come to handsets elsewhere anytime soon, but I would not mind simply being able to block unknown callers and specific SMS numbers, something Nokia will hopefully consider.