How to install apps from the SD Card on Windows Phone 8(Detailed)
One of the most overlooked features on Windows Phone 8 is the ability to install apps from the SD card. Most people may not be aware of this feature and it does come in handy if you were to reset your phone in the near future to have all your apps backed up on the SD card.
People often think that since you download the app onto the SD card this is where it’s installed but this is not the case. This is where Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8 have their own advantages in this scenario. On Windows Phone 7, when an SD card is inserted, it’s simply merged into one therefore, allowing an increase in memory to apps. For example, if you insert an 8GB SD card into an 8GB device, you now have 16GB to install apps.
One issue with this was that once the SD card was inserted and used in Windows Phone 7, the memory card is now rendered useless and the device will require a hard reset before it is functional again without the SD card, Windows Phone 8 however, is a completely different story.
SD cards are removable and usable in Windows Phone 8 devices and both requires no reset to use and unlike Windows Phone 7, both memories are separate, which means apps can’t be installed onto the SD card but can be installed from it. I often had difficulties getting this to work but I finally found a procedure that worked. For this to work, you need your PC and your WP8 device, Check out the details below:
How to Install apps from the SD card
- To download .XAP files from the Windows Phone Store on the web
- Open your browser on your PC and go to www.windowsphone.com.
- Search for the app you want to download.
- Scroll down on the webpage, and then on the left, click Download and install manually (below the app requirements and supported languages).
- When prompted, save the .XAP file to a location on your computer.
- Copy the .XAP file to the root of your memory card (where your Music and Pictures folders are located.
- After copying the XAP file to your memory card remove the USB and restart your device and proceed to Step 2.
- Step 2: To install apps and games from your phone’s SD card
- After your device turns on, leave your device for around 5 mins. then follow the instructions below.
- On your device hit Start , tap Store , and then tap SD card.
- Select the apps you want, and then tap Install.
- Installed apps appear in the App list and games appear in the Games Hub. Depending on the specific app or game, you’ll be able to use them as follows:
If you still don’t see the SD card option present you should try restarting and giving your device 5 minutes. Did the instructions help? Did this work for you? Leave your comment below and tell us how it went.