WildFire is a trending news and information app that allows you to follow any website or blog you want. Its trending algorithm aggregates the most popular stories from around the internet. Wildfire’s simple UI makes it easy to manage your feeds and share stories with your friends. When you use WildFire you’ll never miss a thing.
- Add feeds you like by searching using a keyword or entering the RSS URL
- Delete and reorder your saved feeds
- Choose from 6 subject feeds (Most Popular, Technology, News, Business and
Finance, Sports, and Entertainment) provided by WildFire
- The “Most Popular” feed is a list of the stories that are trending among
WildFire News users.
- Quickly scan the titles, images and descriptions of stories using the feed view or tap a story to read the full article
- Share your favorite stories using accounts saved on your Windows Phone
- Story titles, images, and descriptions are cached to reduce data use and to allow for viewing of feeds when no connection is available.
You can download WildFire News from the Windows Phone Store for free.
Microsoft today updated their Bing suite of apps in Windows Phone Store. This seems to be minor update with bug fixes and performance improvements. The updates are available for Bing News, Bing Weather, Bing Finance, Bing Sports, Bing Health and Fitness and Bing Food and Drink apps.
Find the download links of these apps after the break.
Onefootball Brasil is a new sports news app that covers all the Worldcup football 2014 matches. You can stay informed with all news, statistics and facts from all of the football nations taking part.
Get up to date play-by-play match commentary in the Live Ticker, latest news and never miss a game with our comprehensive WC planner. With Onefootball Brasil you won’t miss a minute of the action.
STAY UP TO DATE!
• All the latest national team news
• Detailed WC news before and during the tournament
FOLLOW ALL MATCHES LIVE!
• Exclusive Live Ticker for all matches of the tournament
• Match schedules, results and statistics
• Personalised push notifications – don’t miss a kick!
• Videos from press conferences and interviews
• Pre- and postgame news coverage for all matches
HAVE YOUR SAY!
• Chat with other fans from around the world live during a match
• Have your opinion on all the latest news
Download it here from Windows Phone Store for free.
Headline Tile is an app which allows you to mix your favorite rss feeds in to a customizable LiveTile for your homescreen. Most rss news readers allow you to view 3 to 5 news items from only one source on a livetile, but Headline tile allows you to view up to 40 news items (20 per side) on a single tile from multiple sources!
- View rss feeds
- Create tile with up to 40 headlines from multiple rss sources
- Customize your tile to your own taste
The free version of the app contains ads and allows you to add 2 sources to the tile. With an in app purchase you can remove the ads and add more sources to the tile for $0.99.
Download Headline Tile for free here or scan the QR code.
CBS Interactive has released the popular tech news website CNET’s official app in Windows Phone Store. It is a fully featured app that allows you to browse through CNET’s content on your mobile device.
CNET is a collective of the tech-savvy and tech-obsessed. Anchored by the world’s largest volume of high-quality unbiased product reviews, CNET is the go-to source for news and recommendations about the latest tech and consumer electronics.
This award-winning resource is available anywhere with the CNET App for Windows Phone devices, 100% free and always here to provide information, tools, and advice to help you decide what to buy and how to get the most out of your tech.
Download it here from Windows Phone Store for free.
Microsoft today updated their Bing suite of apps in Windows Phone Store. This seems to be minor update with bug fixes and performance improvements. The only visual change I could notice was that all these apps have dropped ‘Bing’ branding in their name after the update. For example, instead of ‘Bing News’, its just ‘News’ now.
I’m not a big fan of this little change because I need to search for these app names separately in my App list. Earlier, all these apps were grouped by ‘Bing’ name in the App list and will appear one after another in the list. Find the download links of these apps below.
Magnify Beta is a feature-packed RSS news reader with fantastic-looking UI. Immerse yourself in this one-of-a-kind user experience not found in any other news reader on Windows Phone or any other phone platforms. What’s more? It’s absolutely free and without ads! Magnify is truly a unique app that Windows Phone users can be proud of.
- Beautifully animated and unique interface
- Gorgeous wide Live Tiles with cycling images
- Add custom feeds or search using keywords
- Read full article text without clutter
- Offline reading support
- Dark reading theme
- Pocket and Instapaper support
- Video and GIF support
- Zoom into pictures or save them to phone
- Lockscreen notification support
- Mobile-friendly web view support
If you are already a Magnify Beta user, update now to enjoy the following features:
The most beautiful-looking RSS news reader has a new update in store. Update it now to enjoy the following features!
- Parallax scrolling is back with better performance! (to disable, open Options in the top left of the page)
- Search for RSS by name, topic or anything related
- Remove custom-added RSS
- Option to auto-update feed on start
- App will auto-clear cache regularly (option to clear cache manually is also available)
- Option to reset app to default
- Overall performance improvements
Looking for beta Testers
Magnify is also looking for private beta testers now to help test upcoming features. If you are interested to help in testing cool new UIs, please sign up here.
Get the app
Download or update Magnify here.
Microsoft today officially confirmed that Satya Nadella as its new CEO. Also Bill Gates will now take up a new role as Technology Advisor while John Thompson will become the chairman of Microsoft board.
During this time of transformation, there is no better person to lead Microsoft than Satya Nadella,” said Bill Gates, Microsoft’s Founder and Member of the Board of Directors. “Satya is a proven leader with hard-core engineering skills, business vision and the ability to bring people together. His vision for how technology will be used and experienced around the world is exactly what Microsoft needs as the company enters its next chapter of expanded product innovation and growth.”
Read the full press release after the break, Continue reading
On the 1/1/14 popular music streaming app Pandora stopped being ad-free on Windows Phone, and it seems the company wanted to make sure Windows Phone users did not have any work-around available on the platform.
The company has sent a DMCA take down notice claiming MetroPandora was infringing on their copyright by using their API, which is a rather unusual claim given that it is well known that APIs can not be protected by copyright.
Nevertheless Justin Angel, the creator of the project which is the open foundation for a number of Windows Phone Pandora apps, will not be fighting the claim, which effectively means the end of the project and the associated app.
Fortunately we now do have an official Pandora app in the Windows Phone Store, but we nevertheless take this opportunity to thank Justin for his great contribution giving Windows Phone users access to essential services, an effort which remains important even now while important apps arrive on the platform daily.
Swift Reader is probably the fastest, most beautiful NewsBlur application in the Windows Phone store. It has been written for speed and simplicity. Don’t take our word for it, download the trial version today. As well as being able to integrate with NewsBlur, it can also integrate with your Pocket (Read it Later) account, allowing you to read all of your saved articles.
- Full Live tile functionality supporting all 3 tile sizes.
- Pin Individual feeds or folders to the start screen.
- Full NewsBlur compatibility.
- Pocket (Read It Later) support.
- Folder support (including pinning folders to start screen).
- Full theme support (Light, Dark, Blue and Follow phone theme).
- Separate theme for reading view (Light, Dark, Blue or Paper).
- Readability and Instapaper Mobilizer support (now styled to fit your chosen reading theme).
- Share on Instapaper, Pocket (Read It Later), Twitter, Facebook, Linked In, SMS/text or Email.
- Feed Discovery to discover new feeds.
- Search and subscribe to new feeds using keywords.
- Add new articles to Pocket (Read it Later) from within the application.
- Ad-supported trial.
What people are saying:
“At last, a useable NewsBlur client for WP!”
“Really nice app full of features.”
Swift Reader is available worldwide and costs £0.99 with a free trial. Download here.
According the Microsoft blogger Mary Jo Foley plans for drawing closer Microsoft’s Windows Phone, Windows 8 and Xbox ecosystems are well progressed, and that the plans have gained a code-name: Threshold.
The name is a Halo-derived code name, and was the the planet around which the first halo ring orbited in the original Halo game.
The name now refers to the move to unify the app store of Windows Phone, Windows 8 and Xbox and also the development toolsets for each platform, as revealed in an internal email by Microsoft Executive Vice President Terry Myerson.
Threshold will also bring the same core set of “high value activities” across platforms. These high-value activities include expression/documents (Office, and the coming “Remix” digital storytelling app); decision making/task completion (likely Bing); IT management (such as Intune and Workplace Join) and “serious fun.”
The updates will be released in Spring 2015, and before this Microsoft will release an update for Windows 8.1 called Windows 8.1 Update 1 and also Windows Phone 8.1 around Spring (Q2) 2014.
Do our readers feel Microsoft is moving fast enough? Let us know below.
FlipMag, the awesomely looking news magazine app, has been relaunched to fix crashes caused by the GDR3 update. To make up for this inconvenience, FlipMag is offering a 50% discount off the app price now. This offer will be valid till 30th Nov 2013, so grab it while it last!
FlipMag is a simple and beautiful news reader that lets you flip through news articles as if you are flipping the pages of a real magazine! You can mix-n-match news sources to personalize your own magazine, save articles to view later or share them with the world.
FlipMag is now available on the Windows Phone Store.
See a short demo video after the break.