There are many advantages to living in a country with a high Windows Phone market share like Italy, such as a dedicated Sky TV app for example.
Another perk appears to be a dedicated World Cup 2014 app by carrier 3 Italia.
The app, ‘Diretta Brasile 2014′, was developer on conjunction with DataSport, is designed to keep smartphone users up to date with the latest news about the month-long sporting event.
Apart from keeping track of the latest World Cup news, the app includes a Tweet VIP section to follow all tweets published on Twitter by the tournament’s leading protagonists, a Live section to follow matches in real time, a Table and Statistics section as well as a special section on the Italian national team.
Through the app, you can:
- Discover the latest news from the field, with a detail on the Italian team
- Follow the live coverage of all matches scheduled
- Consult the scoreboard to display the calendar, elimination rounds, the knockout stage and the top scorer
- See the cards of all the participating teams
- See the cards of the players of the Italian National
- See the cards of the stadiums where the matches are played
- See the history of the world
- See the photo gallery with the best pictures
- Consult the list of VIPs Tweet
Italians can download the app for free from the Windows Phone Store here.
Yesterday Microsoft delivered their second 2 weekly Xbox Music app update.
The update brought the app to version 2.5.3884.0, and only promised bug fixes and general performance improvements.
In a post on the Xbox Music User Voice Site Microsoft revealed exactly whats new and what’s coming.
In version 2.5.3884.0 you will find:
- Audio scrubbing is now supported! Slide the track progress indicator in the Now Playing screen to advance to the spot you like.
- Smoother FFW and REW animations.
- UI fixes to improve visibility of content.
- Bug fixed where songs are incorrectly removed from playlists.
- Fixes for unexpected app exits.
Microsoft also promised the following future features and fixes:
Podcast Lounge is one of the best Podcast apps on Windows phone, largely due to the continuing development by the developer.
The app has just had another update , to version 2.1.1, which is mainly a Service Release designed to fix bugs.
For Windows Phone 8.1 users however the update holds one sweet surprise – the Live Tiles for the app, which may need to be re-pinned, are now transparent, which should help them fit in a bit better.
The update addresses:
- Fixed exception bug where the status line being empty caused a null reference exception (EpisodeStatusPanelStr)
- Added some additional helper text within the playlist editor interface to confirm that the limit routine is “and” not “or”
- IsoStorageSpace check was returning Kb instead of Mb
- Centralised the IsoSettings function so we can trap exceptions due to out-of-memory errors
- Addressed bug where advanced player controls wouldn’t appear if the image hadn’t loaded
- Fixed bug wtih EpisodeDetails indexoutofrange bug
- Fixed issue with minutes sometimes being presented as >60 in episodes view (Windows Weekly)
- Added function to present today/yesterday text in place of dates
- Added updated flurry analytics module
- Video player slide gesture still enabled in landscape mode
- Added IconicTiles with transparency for WP8 and WP8.1 for downloads, playlists and main programme tile + store icons (test)
- Added download counter to tile
- Adressed 8.1 exception (Coding4Fun Popup exception)
- The cut-over code dealing with duplicate titles now considers tokens, not just downloads
The app otherwise supports scrubbing audio and video podcasts, remembers your playback position, is fully integrated with the music and video hub and backs up to OneDrive.
Podcast lounge can be found in the Windows Phone Store here.
ElectroDude is a collection of electronic tools such as calculators and pin-out diagrams that are extremely useful for both students and professionals in electronics field
It contains the pin-out diagrams of:-
- USB Port
- Parallel Port
- MIDI Port
- S-Video Port
- VGA Port
- Serial Port
- Firewire Port
- PS/2 – AT Port
And it also contains the following calculators:-
- Resistor value from color code
- Inductor value from color code
- Reisistor value from SMD code
- Ohm’s Law
- RC, LC and RL Filters
- Inductive and capacitive reactance
- Series-parallel resistance
- Battery life calculation
The new version of the app has a redesigned UI and also ads support for 720p/1080p device so they can use the app without letterboxes
You can download it from the link below:-
Free version has no limitations except an ad that appears at the bottom of the app.
On their conversations blog Nokia has confirmed that the Nokia Pro Camera app, which offers fine control over the camera functions, will indeed be coming to the Nokia Lumia 920, 925 and 928, which they call the Pureview cameras.
This app will be available for 1020 from its launch Lumia and will be coming to all PureView Lumia smartphones (Lumia 920, 925 and 928) but require the software update to Amber.
The app offers control over features such as:
- Shutter speed (1/16000 up to 4 seconds)
- EV value
- ISO (100 to 4,000)
- White Balance
- Manual Focus.
The Nokia Amber update is expected to come to Lumia handsets starting in August this year.
Zinio recently brought its catalogue of Digital Magazines to Nokia’s WP8 Lumia handsets exclusively.
The collection includes magazines like The Economist, New Scientist, Esquire, Rolling Stone, Maxim, Juxtapoz, ESPN the Magazine, GQ, Vogue, Elle and countless others.
The app allows one to download and read magazines and articles offline, and manage your archive of back issues, meaning it is the perfect accompaniment to a long plane flight
Now, to sweeten the deal, Zinio is also offering a $50 magazine credit to jump start your library.
Click here to claim the credit. The deal ends June 30.
Zinio is Windows Phone 8 only and Nokia exclusive. Find Zinio in the Windows Phone Store here.
Via the Windows blog
It is still not clear what Nokia’s end game with #2InstawithLove is, but the Instagram tribute app is getting increasingly powerful, having just added a new photo filter, its 5th, Smartshot.
The new filter appears to apply a desaturation effect to pictures, and it is not exactly clear what is meant to be smart about it, but I think that can be said about most photo filters these days.
Find the app, which at its least is a decent free photo filter app, in the Windows Phone Store here.
So far Good for Enterprise is only available for Windows Phone 7.5, but reader John reports that Windows Phone 8 users will soon be able to plug into this enterprise management software layer.
The app provides secure mobile collaboration and device management for Windows Phone devices and allows employees to securely access corporate email, contacts, and calendar.
Reportedly the beta works fairly well on the Nokia Lumia 920, and will soon also be coming to Windows RT and Windows 8 tablets also.
Thanks John for the tip and screen shots.
OpenTable is an app which allows users to book a restaurant table at more than 20,000 restaurants in the US, Canada and Mexico.
The app lets you find restaurants near you, see available tables in real time, in a list or on a map, narrow your search by cuisine, price, or neighbourhood and also browse menus, diner ratings, and reviews.
The app will even let you add upcoming reservations to your calendar and make out-of-town reservations when you travel.
New in version 2.0:
- Brand new look for Windows Phone 8
- Foodspotting photos of dishes diners have loved
- View mobile-optimized restaurant menus
- Restaurant reviews from verified OpenTable diners
- Sort search results by name, distance, cuisine or neighborhood
- Add reservation to your calendar
- Sign-in with your Facebook account
- Pin upcoming reservation details to your start screen
- Lockscreen support
- Tap to Share restaurants with others
The app is free and can be found in the Windows Phone Store here.
Users have been waiting eagerly for a way to sync their Outlook data without the cloud. Current cloud-based solutions pose privacy concerns and synchronization limitations. Fortunately, the wait is now over. Akruto, Inc., has recently released Akruto Sync, a program that offers direct, cloud-free, complete synchronization of Outlook Contacts, Calendar, and Tasks data between a PC and a Windows Phone.
To ensure complete privacy, the data is stored only on the computer and on the phone, not in the cloud; it is protected using SSL encryption and never passes through Akruto’s servers. Users may choose to synchronize their data over the cellular network or by using a Wi-Fi connection. There is no limit on the number of contacts, tasks, or calendar entries or on the amount of data within each entry that can be synchronized.
A 7-day free trial of Akruto Sync is available. Beyond that, a onetime licensing fee of US$19.95 covers installation on a single PC, which may be synchronized with one or more phones.
For more details on Akruto Sync as well as to view the simple setup guidelines, see a video demo after the break.
Imangi Studios have released their second update to their popular run and jump game Temple Run.
The first fixed a live tile issue, and the second, released yesterday, fixes a problem which occurs only for users of Light themes, where the background also becomes white and the controls are obscured.
The updated app can be found in the Windows Phone Store here.
It appears Microsoft has resumed its roll-out of Windows Phone 7.8, this time with a slightly updated version of the software.
Windows Phone 7.8 build 7.10.8860.142 is now available, with a reader reporting it has come to his Nokia Lumia 800 in Denmark on top of an existing WP 7.8 install. Others have reported it on their Nokia Lumia 900 and even a Samsung Omnia 7 in the Netherlands, UK and India.
Hopefully the update addresses all the issues with the broken Live Tiles with WP 7.8 and will roll out rapidly worldwide.
Is anyone else getting the update? Let us know when and where below.
Thanks Rune, Rob, Jamie and Kshitij for the tip.