It looks like more and more carriers are rolling out the 8107 Windows Phone update on their networks. The latest to join the list is Vodafone Germany and Vodafone Australia. The 8107 update comes with several fixes that will make Windows Phone Mango even better. Here is the change log,
- On-screen keyboard. Fixes an issue to prevent the keyboard from disappearing during typing.
- Email. Fixes a Google mail syncing issue.
- Location. Fixes a location access issue. With this fix, the Me feature in the People Hub sends anonymous information about nearby Wi-Fi access points and cell towers to Microsoft only if you agree to allow the Check In function to access and use location information.
- Security. Revokes digital certificates from DigiCert Sdn Bhd to address an encryption issue.
- Email threads. Fixes an email issue related to Microsoft Exchange Server 2003. With this fix, when you reply to or forward a message, the original message is now included in your response.
- Voicemail. Fixes a voicemail notification display issue that occurs on some European and Asian networks under certain conditions.
Thanks to Markus for the heads up.
With the excitement around Nokia Lumia 900/Ace building up, Nokia Lumia 800 is now available from Newegg.com. Even Amazon has a listing for Nokia Lumia 800 black and in both the places the Lumia 800 costs $549. Is it worth for the price? Yes it is. But wait for another 24 hours ! ! You may see something more interesting.
Thanks to Triaxis for the tip.
Windows Phone 7.5 has a great web browser Internet Explorer Mobile, but how it compares against browsers on other competing platforms ? Above is the video comparison of web browser of Nokia Lumia 800, iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S. iPhone 4S performs great in all of the speed tests done while iPhone 4 lags behind IE Mobile in some tests. Even though these tests indicate some benchmarks, real world usage of these browsers seems to be pretty much same. All of them are Fast, Smooth and Responsive.
Speed Reading Test:
iPhone 4 (iOS 4.3) â€“ 2 fps (iPhone 4 with iOS 5.0 â€“ around 37 fps)
Nokia Lumia 800 (WP7.5 aka Mango) â€“ 40 fps
iPhone 4S (iOS 5) â€“ 60 fps
Sunspider Test: Lower is better
iPhone 4 (iOS 4.3) â€“ 4018.2 ms
Nokia Lumia 800 (WP7.5 aka Mango) â€“ 7188.7 ms
iPhone 4S (iOS 5) â€“ 2266 ms
We have seen many reports on smartphone market share in the future. Even IDC, Gartner reports that Windows Phone will be the No.2 smartphone platform by 2015. But in short term, Digitimes Research study expects a sales of 40 million Windows Phone units in 2012 occupying 6.2% of the whole market. The market will be lead by Android with 386 million units and iPhone with 121 million units. Microsoft and its OEM partners should more than double their market share every year to make the IDC report true. Lets see how it goes ! !
Source and Chart based on Digitimes Research.
After a long wait, Samsung is taking pre-orders for the Samsung Omnia W device in India. The device will costs Rs.19,000 as announced earlier. The device will have the same specs as AT&T Focus Flash version withÂ 1.4GHz processor and front cam. Samsung India has also started the promotions of the device across the Internet. Soon Indian users might see banner/text ads of Samsung Omnia WÂ in many websites. As a pre-0rder offer, Samsung is offering one Samsung Bluetooth Mono Headset and Car Adapter for free with this device.
Samsung Omnia W is a great device for its price. If you are looking for a budget friendly smartphone, Omnia W and Nokia 710 are the good choices.
WeatherMaster was released in Windows Phone Marketplace only in October, new updates to this app is available about every 15 days. Now v2.0 of this app is live in marketplace with Windows Phone Mango support.
- You can add new cities/locations (unlimited) or use your current position (GPS) as well
- 7 days forecast with detailed view and temperature chart
- US and Metric units are supported (Fahrenheit/Celsius, mile/km)
- Mango Live Tile support with current weather condition and two days forecast info for selected city / current location
- You can pin as many Live Tiles (with city weather) as you want
- Weather Map with Weather/Cloud/US Radar layers to check out nearby locations quickly
- Tap & add city function on Weather Map
- Supports Dark/Light mode and Tile icon uses your Accent color as background to integrate perfectly
- Intelligent caching of weather data to avoid unnecessary data transfer
The app costs $1.99 with 2 week full funtionality trial available. Find it here in the marketplace.
Speaking with ForbesÂ last week at the Techonomy conference, Microsoft’s Chief Research and Strategy Officer Craig Mundie said that he is not impressed with Apple’s Siri. He added that Windows Phones have similar capability for more than a year and Apple’s Siri is just a marketing hammer to hide its less impressive iPhone 4S. That’s a typical Microsoft response.
What do you guys think ?
Thanks to Dinesh for the tip.
Microsoft is getting crazy with its marketing activities for Windows Phones.
After revealing the giant 6 storey height Windows Phone device, now they are announcing that you will be getting a free lunch from Mango Cafe if you try a Windows Phone Mango device or get a demo of Windows Phone Mango device.
Participating retailers include: 209 W 34th, 16 W 34th, 134 W 34th, 126 W 34th, 370 7th Ave 7 Penn, or 124 W 34th St. See you there!
Spread the message to your friends at NYC.
The Mango cafe has its own twitter handle too, http://twitter.com/#!/CafeMangoToGo
Microsoft has been working on several fronts to port various apps from other platforms to Windows Phones. They provided us with the guidance, API mapping tools, etc for porting apps from Symbian, iOS and Android platforms. Today Windows Phone developer team announced about their improved guidance to port apps along with some new tools to do them.
From Windows Phone team blog,
1) First we have built a series of samples to aid you in the process of migrating your iPhone & Android applications over to Windows Phone by providing a look at the differences and similarities of each platform. Through analysis, you’ll see how to implement the same functionality on Windows Phone as you have within your iPhone and Android application. Weâ€™ve started with 3 samples:
- In-App Advertisements
- Group Messaging
2) Windows Phone 7.5 â€œMangoâ€ includes relational database support by way of Microsoft SQL Server Compact (SQLCE). So we thought it might be handy to create a tool to aid developers in getting their database (data, schemas and views) ported over to Windows Phone without too much trouble. Differences in data types between various database platforms can make the manual migration of your data a daunting task. SQLite2SQLCE is a tool developed to make the conversion process simple by converting a SQLite database into SQLCE while simultaneously creating the default classes needed to incorporate the new database into your Windows Phone application.
With the database conversion tool, weâ€™ve also included a nifty tool designed to aid developers in converting their SQL queries to LINQ while simultaneously helping them to learn the new query language. LINQ (Language-Integrated Query) is a native data querying toolset integrated into the .NET Framework and use on Windows Phone.
3) Improved API Mapping tool.
You can read more about this in detail at Windows Phone team blog.
There is nothing new shown in the above video for our regular readers. This will be useful for new Windows Phone users who are not yet done with exploring the phone. Windows Phone 7.5 has Bing integrated into it, you can press the search hardware button on your device to launch Bing anytime. In the video above, you can find Bing Vision, Bing Audio, Bing Voice and App connect features demoed. All the features works seamlessly in a coherent UI that makes your experience even better.
Enjoy the Mango ! ! !
Source: Bing team
PhotoWeather Live will join the list of Weather apps for Windows Phone with support for Mango. PhotoWeather in its current state features Weather animations, Offline mode, Photos from locations, Geo-location, Live Tile support, etc,.
This app will now be released as PhotoWeather Live with added Windows Phone Mango support such as multiple Live Tiles. PhotoWeather LiveÂ also features notification support which you can customize for example, if weather goes beyond a limit in some place,etc,.
WPCentral had a chance to preview this app, which you can watch in the above video.
Good news Dell Venue Pro users! Mango is coming officially on the Dell Venue Pro.
Dell has insisted, much like other Microsoft OEMs, that the Mango OS will be pushed out to current devices on September 20. Usually, Dell has a pretty good track record of releasing updates on Tuesdays (Nodo, firmware, Microsoft Security update). Combined with the other musings about Windows Phone Mango updates coming in mid September , the rumored release date gains some face validity. But to be safe, put the release date in the rumor folder because delays do happen
But if you really want to see a Dell Venue Pro running Mango, one has been spotted at IFA 2011. Take a look at the video provided by Moobilux .
Ready to run Windows Phone Mango update on your Dell Venue Pro officially? Let us know!
Thanks Jesse for the tip!
Wow, mango is a delicious OS (so far) for developers and the media alike that have updated their devices or were given test devices. But the mango sexy doesn’t end with current windows phones 7 because it seems the HTC HD2 super phone has also received Mango from DFT. But there are some warnings and considerations: windows live functions aren’t working and you have to use MS Hotmail Connector to sync with Outlook. A huge bummer is multitouch isn’t working properly, but that’s a hardware limitation. For the users of the T-Mobile US HTC HD2, Mango works, but 512 MB of NAND is used versus the supported 1024. Bold enough to grab Mango for the HD2 to extend its shelf life? Mark Monday on your calendar to get a sweet taste of Mango on a device that may never die.
Dark Forces Team